How to post your dog's ears?
Table of Contents
In this article, we will go over the steps on how to post your dog's ear using the pre-made ear posts using the backer rod method by Earpostkit. Please make sure you have your kit ready. If you don't have a kit, please order one HERE.
Before posting: Clean your dog's ears with baby wipes or cotton balls. If your dog recently got their ears cropped, wait until the ears are fully healead (no scabs present) before posting.
Supported Dog Breeds
These instructions for ear posting apply to doberman pinschers, giant schnauzers, boxers, german shepherds, cane corsos and great danes.
Step 1 - Cut ear posts
- Open your kit and grab a pair of the pre-made ear posts
- Insert one ear post inside your dog's ear all the way to the bottom of the bell (bottom of the ear), while pulling the ear up and holding it
- Take note of where the tip of the ear ends
- Cut the excess post that is above the tip of the ear (leave a little longer just in case)
- Repeat for the other ear post
Step 2 - Tape ear posts
- Grab one ear post and one zonas tape
- Tape the ear post with the zonas tape using the sticky side out
- Repeat for the other ear post
Step 3 - Cut zonas tape
- Cut two small pieces of zonas tape around 3 inches in length
- Cut two medium pieces of zonas tape around 5 inches in length
- Cut two large pieces of zonas tape around 7 inches in length
Step 4 - Post each ear
- Insert one ear post in a circular motion inside the ear, while pulling the ear all the way up and holding it
- Grab the large size piece of zonas tape from Step 3 and tape the bottom/bell of the ear (sticky side down) looping towards the front of the ear until it's wrapped around
- Grab the large size piece of zonas tape from Step 3 and tape the center of the ear (sticky side down) looping towards the front of the ear until it's wrapped around
- Grab the large size piece of zonas tape from Step 3 and tape the tip of the ear (sticky side down) looping towards the front of the ear until it's wrapped around
- Ensure the tape and ear posts are secure in the ear
- Repeat for the other ear
Step 5 - Secure with bridge
- Grab the ear bridge from your kit
- Cut an extra large piece of zonas tape, leghth should be enough to loop once around both ears from one end to the other
- Place the bridge over the sticky side of the extra large piece of tape, then grab both the tape and bridge together to connect the ears with the bridge
- The position of the ears should be at 11 o'clock and 1 o'clock (as long as post/ears are pointing up)
- Make sure tape is securing the ear posts and bridge
Remove ear posts: The ear posts should be removed in 3-4 days using the adhesive remover wipes included your kit. Please read this document on how to remove the ear posts.
Monitor: Continously monitor the ears to make sure there is no discharge present while ears are taped (usually an indicator that the tape is too tight and you need to immediately remove the tape, clean ears, give the ears downtime without posts until healed).
Check-in: We encourage you to check-in with us on a weekly/biweekly basis to give us an update on how posting is going.
Support: Send us a message via email@example.com or chat with us using the chat box.